Santorini SeaBreeze Boat Rental in Perissa, Santorini is all about you having a blast out on the water. We offer the best rentals around and our watercraft will allow you to enjoy every minute while you are here. We are also about boating safety – you should always be aware of the boating laws and safety regulations when pursuing a day out on the water.
As the owner or renter of a boat, your life and the lives of your passengers are in your hands. In Greece, if you want to enjoy a day in the water you do not require a boat driving license if your engine is less than 30hp. Otherwise if your engine is more than 31hp you do require an international valid boat driving license.
Top 10 Tips for Boating Safety
- Always wear a life jacket – In Greece, it is required by Law that all boats must carry Solas approved life jackets for all persons +10% of the boats approved number of persons capacity. Life jackets should be tested once a year and must be the appropriate size for the intended user.
- Check the weather forecast – A calm, sunny day can quickly turn into a deadly storm. Check the weather forecast before venturing out on your boat. Also, keep a radio or cellphone on board to receive weather updates and advisories.
- Take a boater safety course – Play it safe and take a boater safety course to learn the proper regulations and safety precautions on the water.
- Don’t drink and boat – According to the Coast Guard, Boating While Intoxicated (BWI) is a leading cause in fatal boating accidents. Alcohol affects judgment, vision and increases the likelihood of an accident. It’s illegal to operate a boat while under the influence of alcohol.
- Preventative boat maintenance – Keeping your boat in good working order is an important part of the boating experience. Regularly, having your equipment checked for safety ensures that it will perform better, reduce depreciation and save on costly repairs.
- Operate at a safe speed – Excessive speeding is a leading cause of all reported boating accidents. Operate your boat at a safe speed and stay aware of traffic density and navigation hazards to avoid accidents and save lives.
- Learn the rules of the waterway – Unlike our streets; waterways don’t have traffic signals to direct boater traffic. So boaters must depend on each other by observing safety precautions and navigational rules to prevent mishaps.
- Hypothermia is a risk – Avoid entering the water when the temperature is below 59 degrees Fahrenheit(15 celsius) or hypothermia may result. The symptoms include a decrease in body temperature, uncontrolled breathing and unconsciousness. As you plan your trip, pack dry clothing in a waterproof bag and never go out alone.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector – Internal combustion engines on boats emit a harmful, odorless gas called carbon monoxide. The symptoms are similar to seasickness or alcohol intoxication. All boats with an enclosed cabin need to be equipped with a carbon monoxide detector as a precaution.
- Create a float plan – It is recommended that boaters inform a friend or family member where they plan to go, the route they will take and the time they are expected to return. This information will aid officials if an accident occurs.
If you follow these tips, you will be able to focus more on enjoying the Sea. After all, having fun is what it’s all about right? Santorini SeaBreeze Boat Rental will accommodate you with an awesome boat and will even deliver to you on site. With our center location at the Perissa Beach, we can have you on the water in no time. Stop by and see us!
BETTER PRODUCT, BETTER PRICES, BETTER PEOPLE!